Apr 11, 2011

No 70- The French Connection

Su's Review- 4.2

Last night Billy and I took advantage that one of our 100 movies was on TV and settled in to watch The French Connection. We’ve been too busy to even watch our Love Film flicks recently so our little mission has fallen to the wayside a bit.

I don’t really have anything good to say about this film made the year my sister was born (which makes me realize how old my sister is). It was filled with every cop cliché like “This is the police. You’re surrounded. Come out with your hands up.” But then I think maybe this wasn’t yet a cliché and other films have imitated the FC.

Generally I like Gene Hackman like when he Lex Luthor in Superman or he was the preacher in The Poseidon Adventure, one of my favorite movies ever. But this role as Popeye was really bad. He didn’t have a single redeeming quality and the one person who stood up to him (the guy kept saying that the last time he had a hunch he got a cop killed) yeah well he killed him. He didn’t even take a second to say hmmm maybe that wasn’t such a good idea. And my god they made a sequel.

The only character that was fairly decent was Popeye’s partner Det. Buddy Russo aka the guy who killed Jaws. Russo stood by Popeye even though he kind of thought he was nutty but didn’t really want to say anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment